23 March 2009

Review: The day the Earth stood still


Over Spring Break, I was home and was hanging out with some friends of mine whom wanted to watch a movie so since I was home for break and didn't really care I let them pick the movie and they picked the 2008 remake of The day the Earth stood still with Keanu Reeves. Usually I really like Keanu Reeves because I find him to be a really good actor and find that he can play many different parts and be believable in all of them. Anyway, I had no idea what this movie was about coming into it but figured I'd give it a chance. It was a mix between crazy and cool. A few times I found myself getting lost and confused many times during this movie even though I played very close attention. I noticed that Jaden Smith was in this movie and found myself really disliking his character and thought his performance was very annoying and could have been played by anyone but he was probably just picked because his mom knows Keanu. But besides that I thought this movie was interesting but probably not a movie I would ever see again because even though I like Keanu I would have to say this movie was not on my list of his favorite appearances even though I thought he did a very good acting job. I just felt like the plot, story and end all had problems with them that did not keep me content with this movie. I felt like the end totally killed it as well. I wouldn't recommend this movie to others and don't think it fit the 'hype' it got when it was talked about. As said by another blogger, this movie shouldn't have ever been a remake.